An easy to prepare all-in-one dish by cook and writer Nigel Slater. Probably more suited to brunch rather than breakfast, this dish is simple to prepare and you can pop it in the oven and get on with some of your morning chores...or just sit down with the morning paper and a cup of coffee.
- Slice the potatoes into discs, skin on (if washed and skin is thin).
- Add the potatoes to a deep baking dish.
- Slice, or crumble, the black pudding and add to the potatoes.
- Trickle over the olive oil and [using your hands] turn the potato and black pudding so they are spread evenly and lightly coated in oil.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes in an oven at 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4 until the potatoes are golden and tender and the black pudding toasted.
- Remove the dish from the oven, break four large eggs on top and return to the oven for a couple of minutes or longer, depending on how you like your eggs.
Simply plate up! Serve on its own, with baked beans or with tomatoes...
- Keep the slices of potato thin, about the thickness of a £2 coin, which will ensure they cook right the way through.
- Make four small hollows within the potatoes to crack the eggs.
- Substitute the black pudding with chorizo. (Obviously, we would not suggest the substitution, we'd suggest the addition!)
- Substitute parsnips for the potato. Again, why not try a bit of both!?
Share the Recipe with Friends....
What's your Verdict?