If you like a good Pie then you should really try this one by Kevin Dundon (Chef Proprietor of Dunbrody Country House Hotel, County Wexford). Chicken, Mushrooms and Black Pudding in a creamy white wine sauce topped with a puff pastry lid. Delicious!
For the Pie Filling
- 25g Butter
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 large Chicken Breasts, diced
- 1 Leek, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 200g Wild Mushrooms
- 200g Black Pudding, casing removed & crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper, for seasoning
- 100ml White Wine
- 200ml Double Cream
For the Topping / To Finish
- 2 sheets Puff Pastry, ready rolled
- Olive Oil & Flour, for dusting
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 tsp Milk
- Heat the butter in a large shallow saucepan with a drizzle of oil to prevent the butter from burning. Add in the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the leeks, onion, garlic, mushrooms and black pudding at this stage, then add a little seasoning.
- Pour in the white wine and cream, allowing the mixture to come to a gentle boil whilst stirring all the time.
- Simmer for 5-6 minutes until the liquid has reduced and thickened, then set aside for approximately 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350F / Gas Mark 4.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pie dish by rubbing the edges with a little oil or butter and a dusting of flour.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface, then using the dish base as a template, cut around the base and place the pastry in the base of the dish.
- Use the remaining pastry to line the edges of the dish then pour in the cooled mixture. Place the top sheet of puff pastry over the dish, and brush with egg wash, trim as necessary.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Once the pie is cooked remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool for a few minutes.
Serve with seasonal vegetables or some salad greens.
Share the Recipe with Friends....
What's your Verdict?