Preparation & Cooking Time
This recipe of Chicken breast stuffed with black pudding and herb crumbs, wrapped in bacon, served with a chive sauce and veal jus, on a bed of creamy mash, is sourced from 'Fire' restaurant, in the heart of Dublin City centre. Fire Restaurant is consistently voted one of the best restaurants in Dublin and whilst this dish is not currently on the menu it is well worth sharing.
For the Chicken
For the Chive Sauce
For the Veal Jus
For the Accompaniment
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350F / Gas Mark 4.
- Prepare the stuffing for the chicken - Crumble the black pudding into a bowl and add in the bread crumbs along with the parsley and chives. Use a fork to mix this well but try to keep it light.
- Prepare the chicken - Cut a small pocket into the back of the breast (opposite skin side). Take a hand full of the stuffing and place inside the cavity, closing the chicken meat around it. Use one piece of streaky bacon to wrap around each breast. Once ready place all the chicken onto a dish and dust with the paprika and drizzle half of the oil over this. Turn the chicken in the oil a few times to make sure it is all coated in the oil and paprika.
- Place the chicken onto a roasting tray and into the oven for 25 minutes. Once cooked through, set aside in a warm area to allow to rest for a few minutes.
- Prepare your Mashed Potato.
- To make the chive sauce simply bring the cream to the boil in a pot and add in the chicken stock, simmer for 2-3 minutes, remove from the heat and add the remaining chives.
- To make the veal jus, put the red wine, shallots, garlic and bay leaves in a heavy based saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the liquid by 1/2 and add the veal stock. Return to the boil, reduce by 2/3. Strain, whisk in the butter and set aside.
- To prepare the broccoli, heat a large based pan, drizzle with olive oil and add in the broccoli, tossing it over the heat for 2-3 minutes before adding the butter and cooking for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and it is ready to serve.
Place a large scoop of mash in the centre of the plate along with the broccoli on top of that. Cut the chicken in half length ways so as to show off the stuffing and turn the top half slightly before placing onto the broccoli. Drizzle some of the jus over the chicken and the chive sauce around the plate.